"May Adonai bless you and protect you! May Adonai deal kindly and graciously with you! May Adonai lift up his countenance upon you and grant you peace!" (Torah, Numbers 6:24-26) And Jesus said, "Allow the little children to come unto me. Forbid them not, for of such is the Kingdom of God. Truly, I say unto you, unless you receive the Kingdom of God as a little child does, you shall not enter therein." (New Testament, Mark 10:14-16)

Sojourning at an Oasis Paradise

My purpose for living this life, and for writing this blog, is to understand the faith that links us to God. I wish to explore and discuss the reality at the heart of all of the world's religions. This is an immense task, but I know that God also has faith in us, trusting that we do desire the truth, as well as freedom, love and wisdom. Thus, as always, He meets us halfway. Even as God has given us individual souls, so we must each of us trace out an individual pathway to God. Whether we reside in the cities of orthodox religion, or wend our solitary ways through the barren wastelands, God watches over us and offers us guidance and sustenance for the journey.


Most of what you will see here is the result of extensive personal study, combined with some careful speculation. Occasionally, I may simply offer some Scripture or an inspirational text. I am a wide reader, and the connection of some topics and ideas to matters of faith and religion may not seem immediately obvious, but perhaps I may spell it out in the end... or maybe, you will decide that it was just a tangent. Anyway, I hope that you will find my meanderings to be spiritually enlightening, intellectually stimulating, or at least somewhat entertaining.

Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Pray without Ceasing

The following litany is my offering for continuous devotion. You may choose among them, and use as many or as few as you like, as the occasion calls for. Or draw up your own list, to memorize and pray as often as you can remember to do so.
......

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditations of my heart, be forever pleasing in thy sight, oh Lord, my God, and let me rest beneath the shelter of thy wings.

Blessed art thou, O Lord our God, Creator and Ruler of the Cosmos. Set us free from the inclination to sin, and shelter us from the troubles of this world.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Teach me the Way of your Truth, so I may know you and have eternal Life in Heaven.

O Holy Spirit, Voice of Grace, come dwell in my heart and enlighten my mind. Lead me surely so that I may live and pray in accord with thy will.

Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and always. Ask that we may be granted unwavering faith in Jesus, and be counted worthy of eternal life.

O blessed Saints in Heaven, pray for us poor sinners who still stumble, that we may clearly see our paths, and always follow what is right.

Happy angels and archangels, Hosts, Powers, Dominions and Principalities, guard us who believe, even if we wander, and shield us from all evil.

Beloved Lord, our Father, God,
In times of distress we come to Thee, asking for your comfort and protection from the ills and troubles of this world, for ourselves, our families, and all our friends. [We pray also for those working to preserve the health, supply, safety, and faith of our community.] We ask that you continue to care for us, to shepherd and protect us even under stormy and dark skies. Grant us ever deeper faith, so that we may embrace the hope of rescue, and experience the reality of your presence here with us.
We ask in Jesus' name, Amen.

Dearest Lord Jesus,
Please heal our nation, and the whole world. Give us worthy leaders of faith, who follow closely after you, and give you glory. Protect our people from the works of Satan, and defend us from our enemies in times of strife. Encourage us to always seek justice, virtue and righteousness in both our public and our private lives. Bless us with your wisdom, reminding us to preserve our beloved homelands, and be a Light shining before us, helping us to always choose the right paths.
We love you, and we praise you. Amen.

Holy Father,
May there soon be peace and justice,
with love and reconciliation for all
who abide in Jerusalem, your Holy City,
and may they give you all the glory.

Oh, my Jesus!
Forgive us our sins.
Save us from the fires of Hell.
Lead all souls to Heaven,
Especially those most in need of thy mercy.
   - St. Faustina

My Lord and my God!
Grant me perfect contrition for all my sins. I have failed you, and betrayed your love, and I am deeply sorrowful. I am appalled by the way I have caused you to suffer on the cross, and I promise to do my best to avoid future sins. My only deepest desire is to be with you, to know you, and to please you. Please write your words upon my heart, and dwell within me.
My Lord Jesus Christ, Amen.

Oh Gracious Lord,
Bless me always with your graces, that I may grow in virtue and faithfulness. Let me be ever ready to accept your gifts, so that I will be sooner transformed, and become more and more alike to your Radiant Love. And let those graces that others fail to accept flow into my heart to reveal your perfect Presence.
In Jesus' name, Amen.

Grant me, O Lord my God,
a mind to know you,
a heart to seek you,
wisdom to find you,
conduct pleasing to you,
faithful perseverance awaiting you,
and a hope of finally embracing you.
Amen.
    - St. Thomas Aquinas 

O' my Jesus,
Grant me the grace I need to take up my own cross, and help me to follow in your footsteps. If I must bear suffering, let it be to share in yours. I only ask that you remember me when you return to us with your Kingdom. And if it be thy will, may I share in your risen glory, and sit to listen at your feet.
Amen.

Oh, My Lord,
Thou hast given so much to me!
Give me one thing more: a grateful heart.
Not thankful when it pleases me,
as if thy blessings had spare days,
but such a heart
whose pulse may be thy praise.
Amen
   - George Herbert

Lord, I do believe!
Help me to overcome my doubts,
and to understand your ways.
Bless me often, Lord.
Show me how you walk with me,
and shower me with your grace,
so my faith will continually grow.
In Thine own Name, I dare to pray,
my Lord Jesus Christ.
Amen.

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of the Living God,
Come and dwell always in my heart.
Open my lips, and help me to proclaim Your Gospel,
and to tell of the mercy in your Father's Kingdom,
as well as I am able,
and grant that I may be found worthy
to share in the glories of Heaven.
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment