"May Adonai bless you and protect you! May Adonai deal kindly and graciously with you! May Adonai lift up his countenance upon you and grant you peace!" (Torah, Numbers 6:24-26) And Jesus said, "Allow the little children to come unto me. Forbid them not, for of such is the Kingdom of God. Truly, I say unto you, unless you receive the Kingdom of God as a little child does, you shall not enter therein." (New Testament, Mark 10:14-16)

Sojourning at an Oasis Paradise

My purpose for living this life, and for writing this blog, is to understand the faith that links us to God. I wish to explore and discuss the reality at the heart of all of the world's religions. This is an immense task, but I know that God also has faith in us, trusting that we do desire the truth, as well as freedom, love and wisdom. Thus, as always, He meets us halfway. Even as God has given us individual souls, so we must each of us trace out an individual pathway to God. Whether we reside in the cities of orthodox religion, or wend our solitary ways through the barren wastelands, God watches over us and offers us guidance and sustenance for the journey.


Most of what you will see here is the result of extensive personal study, combined with some careful speculation. Occasionally, I may simply offer some Scripture or an inspirational text. I am a wide reader, and the connection of some topics and ideas to matters of faith and religion may not seem immediately obvious, but perhaps I may spell it out in the end... or maybe, you will decide that it was just a tangent. Anyway, I hope that you will find my meanderings to be spiritually enlightening, intellectually stimulating, or at least somewhat entertaining.

Saturday, March 14, 2020

Seven Days' Mysteries to Pray the Rosary


As much as I have grown to love the Rosary dedicated to our Mother Mary, I always felt that there has been too much repetition. And then we added the Luminous mysteries, to expand the celebration of the Gospel of our Lord, and it began to feel better. But there are still only four days given us to remember the mysteries that Jesus taught, and I still wanted more.

So I asked how we might use even more of the Gospels to praise our Mother Mary and her Son Jesus, and I found that there are  more episodes of his life that stand out prominently. As I read more, I noted that they gathered around certain themes, which made sense to be remembered on the other days of the week.

I began to pray with them on the "empty" days. This, I felt to be more satisfying, and, I hoped, acceptable to Mother Mary because they would glorify her Son and help to spread the Gospel. I therefore chose to name the new days. I think of them as sharing the mysteries of Emerging Faith.

Joyful Mysteries (Monday)
It's time for the Messiah to come!
1. Annunciation to Mary
"... and you shall name him Jesus."
- Luke 1:26-38
2. Visiting with her cousin Elisabeth
"Blessed art thou among women"
- Luke 1:41-45
3. Birth of Jesus
"... and laid him in a manger."
- Luke 2:4-7
4. Presentation of the First Born
"for my eyes have seen your salvation."
- Luke 2;22-35
5. Discovery at the Temple
"I had to be in my Father's house"
- Luke 2:45-49

Luminous Mysteries (Tuesday)
His mission is authorized by the Father.
1. Baptism in the Jordan
"This is my beloved Son"
- Matthew 3:16-17
2. Wedding at Cana
"Fill the jars with water."
- John 2:5-7
3. Proclaiming the Kingdom
"The Kingdom of God is at hand."
- Mark 1:14-15
4. Transfiguration
"and his face shone like the sun"
- Matthew 17:1-8
5. Beginning the Eucharist
"This is my body which is given for you."
- Luke 22:14-20

Believing Mysteries (Wednesday)
And Jesus did miracles among them:
1. an issue healed by touching His robe
"Who touched me?"
- Luke 8:43-48
2. the samaritan woman at the well
"He told me everything I ever did."
- John 4:4-42 
3. telling a cripple to rise up & walk
"Which is easier, to say ..."
- Matthew 9:2-8
4. walking on water & calming the storm
"Why did you doubt?"
- Matthew 14:22-34
5. raising Lazarus from the dead
"...if you believe, you will see the glory..."
- John 11:1-44

Theological Mysteries (Thursday)
How the disciples came to know him:
1. The baptism of rebirth 
"... being born of water and Spirit."
- John 3:3-8
2. Jesus quizzes the disciples.
"Who do you say that I am?"
- Matthew 16:13-17 
3. Jesus released the doubters.
"To whom shall we go?"
- John 6:63-69 
4. Jesus reveals His identity in public.
"I and the Father are one."
- John 10:22-42 (v.30)
5. Jesus is our connection to God.
"If you abide in me, and my words ..."
- John 15:1-10

Sorrowful Mysteries (Friday)
He suffered for our sins.
1. Agony in the garden
"let this cup pass from me"
- Matthew 26:36-45
2. Scourging at the pillar
"... and had him scourged"
- Mark 15:15
3. Crowned with thorns
"Hail, King of the Jews!"
- John 19:2-3
4. Carrying the cross
"carrying his own cross"
- John 19:17
5. Crucified to death
"Father, forgive them. They know not ..."
- Luke 23:32-34

Holiness Mysteries (Saturday)
Be merciful, just as your Father in Heaven:
1. What are the greatest commandments?
"On these two commandments depend.."
- Matthew 22:36-40
2. What you eat does not defile you.
"but what comes out of the mouth ..."
- Matthew 15:11,15-20
3. Corporal works of mercy.
"you did it to one of these, brothers ..."
- Matthew 25:34-40
4. The Sermon on the Plain. 
"Be merciful, even as your Father ..."
- Luke 6:17-49
5. Jesus claims our first concern. 
"Seek ye first the Kingdom of God ..." 
- Matthew 6:25-34 

Glorious Mysteries (Sunday)
His authority is established in Heaven.
1. Jesus arose from the dead
"He is not here. He has risen."
- Mark 16:5-7
2. He ascended to Heaven
"He was lifted up while they were looking"
- Acts 1:9-11
3. The Holy Spirit came down
"tongues as of fire"
- Acts 2:1-4
4. Mary was assumed to Heaven
"Blessed is the womb that carried you..."
- Luke 11:27, 28
5. Mary is crowned Queen of Heaven
"and on her head a crown of 12 stars"
- Revelations 12:1


Let me state clearly that I have no authority to add anything to the Rosary. I did not receive any vision from our Mother. I merely asked how I might personally fill in the "empty" days in a manner pleasing to our Mother, which would also glorify Jesus.

I received no revelations. This comes only from my study of the Gospels, and my own devotions. If you want to share it, please, be my guest. If you feel that you should bring it to your priest, or your bishop, by all means, feel free to do so.

I don't want anyone to think that I am putting myself forward to earn praise. Any appreciation from my Mother, or my Lord, is enough. I am merely bringing more flowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment